Thursday, February 5, 2009

Living Life Autistic

While searching and going through many different blogs trying to find various information about special needs students, I found a new direction that I wanted to take. I discovered that I wanted to slant my searchings to gear towards HOW to help special needs students, not just teach them. Even though I am going into education, I feel that caring and compassion is essential in furthering the needs of these special students. I came across many interesting blogs discussing the need for this direction and compassion, many of the bloggers being parents of these special needs students.

Kristyn Crow's Blog called "Help Me, I'm Stuck in Autism" was an interesting perspective, putting us, the reader, in the shoes of an autistic child. This really was interesting and hit home to me because I have an autistic younger sister. It compared leading an autistic life to that of a movie I recently viewed, called "Awake." This movie was about a young man undergoing a major heart surgery and was put under a general anestethic. Come to find out, he was concious the whole time and felt immense amounts of pain. In Kristyn' Blog, she related this feeling to the life of an autistic child.

This writer liked to share her own opinions, but also gets ideas from observing her Autistic child. It was a very laid back blog post, stating her opinions and reiterating the theme of special needs students and more directly the title, "Help Me, I'm Stuck in Autism." As a future educator, I feel that it is important to know how the children we are working with are feeling, and try to empathize with these feelings the best that we know how.

I highly recommend this blog to anyone with an Autistic child in the classroom, or also parents, siblings, friends, and classmates of a child with Autism. I felt this was a good introductory blog to get my toes wet in this "blogosphere." It helped me understand more what this specific nuerological disorder is about and also would help someone completely unfamiliar to the disability understand the feelings a young Autistic child may be feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment